Friday, April 11, 2008

Another one bites the dust...

Man. What a rotten week.

All in all it's been a pretty crappy week. Various issues at work and life in general have resulted in an escalating simmer of frustration. But the coup de grace, the final straw, the cherry on top, is my sad discovery that the geniuses at Campbell's have now taken my favorite soup off of the market. Amazing how you can tolerate that big junk that life throws at you but it's the little things that make you truly crazy.

Yes, my friends, the beloved Campbell's Fiesta Chili Beef is no more. For those of you unfamiliar with this soup, allow me to explain. From the time I was a little girl my mother would use this soup to make Chili dogs. This is the single best chili ever. It has a very unique flavor, completely different from a traditional stove-top chili you would make at home. It isn't as tomato-y as regular chili and would probably best be described as the freakishly awesome step child of chili and refried beans. This still doesn't quite capture the true essence, the je ne sais quoi that is Campbell's Fiesta Chili Beef but it is the best I can do. I would even go so far as to say that it has it's own special branch of the Chili family tree. It's related to Chili, but it's really completely unique.

I haven't been able to find it in the stores for several months now and finally had to resort to doing some basic internet sleuthing to figure out what was going on. Much to my dismay I discovered that Campbell's in their infinite wisdom decided that we really do need about thirty different variations of chicken and noodles (and rice! and stars! and wild rice! and noodles with vegetables! and Spongebob shaped noodles!). We evidently need every conceivable incarnation of chicken and starch based soup imaginable so they had to drop the Fiesta Chili Beef to make room for them all.

This is so irritating. Chili Dogs will never be the same. I think we need a letter writing campaign to bring back the Fiesta Chili Beef.

I'll keep checking the soup aisle in hopes that they will bring it back. Until then, R.I.P. Campbell's Fiesta Chili Beef.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hi,
Came across your blog today... I'm knitting on the prairie too. Thought you might try this recipe to replace your beloved Campbell's Soup....and it would be so much healthier anyway!
http://southernfood.about.com/od/groundbeefsouprecipes/r/bl50825c.htm

Happy Knitting and Cooking.
Cathy
http://prairiewindknits.blogspot.com